June 11, 2015

‘Insurrection’ trial moves on


Thu, 11 June 2015 ppp
Meas Sokchea
Cambodia National Rescue Party member Meach Sovannara at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday morning. Sovannara was arrested following a violent protest in July last year. Pha Lina

The last two opposition activists charged with inciting an “insurrection” during a protest of the 2013 general election were questioned yesterday at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court, as the lawyer of the accused aired hope that the court would not compile enough evidence to sentence his clients.

The two opposition figures – Meach Sovannara, a senior official with the Cambodian National Rescue Party, and party activist Tep Narin – were questioned by judges Lim Makaron, Y Thavareak and Nou Veasna, along with deputy prosecutor Keo Socheat.

Although strong language was exchanged between the judges and defence lawyer, Choung Choungy, the judges and prosecutor allowed Sovannara to speak at length on his involvement in the violent July 15, 2014, protest near Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park that saw at least 39 security personnel and six demonstrators injured.

Judge Makaron grilled Sovannara on whether or not he went to the protest as a leader or participant, and if he took to the stage to make a speech.

“I joined as a Cambodian citizen to express [myself] and to ask for Freedom Park to be reopened,” he replied. “I made a speech for about five minutes. I did not do anything; I walked out.”


He admitted, though, that opposition lawmakers Mu Sochua and Ho Vann had also delivered addresses at the protest, but said he had not communicated with either beforehand.

Sovannara went on to clarify that he could not have possibly led an insurrection unless he had ordered people to disrupt public order, vandalise state property or attempt to topple the government.

“The court must not side with any group to guarantee its independence in the search for justice,” he said. “I hope that the court will find justice without political pressure.”

Sovannara had requested that the court return his passport, promising that he would not flee the country. Judge Makaron said, however, that they could not return the document immediately.

Narin echoed what the previous nine activists had told the court. He maintained that he joined the protest as a means of political expression, and that security personnel had incited the violence that occurred, a version of events corroborated by numerous witnesses.

After the trial, Choungy seemed confident that the court would not be able to convict his clients based on the available evidence.

“I noted in the trial today that it seems the court could not compile enough [evidence] to put the burden on my clients,” he said. “I recognise that there was violence near [Freedom Park], but I looked, and there was no insurrection.”

The trial is set to continue on June 29 with the 41 security personnel who are plaintiffs.

1 comment:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The purpose of the Vietcong slave one-eye dictator court is to create problems for Cambodian people! The dictator's court can't do anything right beside blaming Cambodian people for the dictator stupidity and failure! For Cambodian people to function as real human being they must have the freedom to protest and to speak for what is right! If the Vietcong slave dictator's court don't even know what is right and what is wrong then it is the dictator court is the f..cken problem!

Stop bothering the Cambodian people and the Vietcong slave dictator court needs to do what is right that is to find justice for Cambodian people!